Prevention measures are similar to other infectious diseases that cause respiratory infections.
More detailed instructions in English can be found on WHO’s website.
It is advisable to take daily preventive measures:
- avoid close contact with people who show the signs of an infectious disease;
- do not touch the eyes, nose and mouth;
- in case we get sick, we stay at home;
- follow the rules of cough hygiene (cough in a handkerchief, which is then discarded, or in the elbow);
- wash our hands regularly with soap and water;
- if water and soap are not available, disinfect the hands using a dedicated hand sanitizer. The alcohol content of the hand sanitizer should be at least 60%. A hand sanitizer is for external use only. Surface cleaners / disinfectants are not intended for cleaning / disinfecting the skin.
- given the current epidemiological situation, general use of protective masks is not necessary.
- in times of increased respiratory infections we avoid enclosed spaces that hold large numbers of people. We regularly ventilate enclosed spaces.
The National Institute of Public Health website also provides information on myths and truths related to the new coronavirus, as well as frequently asked questions and answers.
The original version of this article was published on February 24th.